Monday, April 19, 2010

I am a proud Iyengar. Are u?


It is with a sad heart I have to say that some of the valuable customs and traditions of Iyengars are slowly fading away. Pop and Corporate cultures have weakened the strong roots of such conventional traditions. Practices like taking oil bath, going to temple, learning slokas are fading away. Healthy choices are replaced with junk foods. Pastas and Speggatis have replaced Sevai. Pizzas and burgers have replaced Thavalai Adai.

Although I am not full-fledged in knowing these practices, I have started to learn some and practising them on a regular basis and would like to pass them on to my future generations.

I have started to eat Sundaikkai, Veppapamboo rice calling Black and white mammu, the Zebra rice (Megna Kept the name). I loved the Mangai Pachadi made on the New Years day. If vethakuzhambu is made I cannot miss thairsadam and have it as a side dish. Pulikaachal can a be good substitute for it on Non-vethaikuzhambu days. Amma said, they are the staple food of an Iyengar and take pride in loving them. I would love to learn them and make them on my own and pass the torch on.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Roma... Pulikaachal and Ghetti thayir saadham... can't miss it for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nee pesada.... Onna mari iyengar sangatha kalappada padutharavangaloda lam naan pesarthu illa.

    ReplyDelete